When it comes to securing your business, there are many different types of CCTV cameras to choose from. Surveillance plays a huge part in today’s society, and with cameras all around us, our day-to-day lives are experiencing higher levels of security each day.
Outdoor camera systems as the name implies are cameras built to operate outside. These systems are built to withstand harsh weather and natural hassles because they are protected by Ingress Protection (IP) standards and they come with aluminum housing. They can be strategically positioned around the home from better vantage points.
To keep eye on your home, business and surroundings during the day and at night an outdoor camera is the best solution. There are different models, brands, and types of outdoor cameras, but, here is our pick on the best outdoor camera.
Best Outdoor Security Cameras
- Arlo Pro 4
- Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
- Wyze Cam (2020)
- Lorex 4K Nocturnal 3.0 Smart IP Camera
- Blink XT2 Camera
- Vivint Outdoor Camera Pro
Arlo Pro 4
This is the company latest security camera. The Arlo Pro 4 connects directly to Wi-Fi, so, no smart home hub is required. It produces 2K video with HDR, color night vision, and a 160-degree viewing angle. It also comes with a built-in spotlight to illuminate intruders, a siren, and two-way audio to communicate with guests. This camera also has a 2Way Audio built-in mic and speaker that enable push to talk capability, so you can listen in and talk back.
The Arlo Pro 4 comes with a removable battery which according to the company can last up to six months on a charge. It works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT. Since it is wireless, you can easily place Arlo Pro cameras wherever you want and monitor your home from every angle. They are weatherproof so, they are perfect for outdoor mounting. Other Arlo Pro 4 features include color night vision output, two-way talk capabilities, timely smart alerts, and motion detection technology.
Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
Nest’s most advanced outdoor camera is full of unique and useful features. It has the industry standard of 1080p HD, with automatic zoom (12x digital zoom) in whenever it detects a person, all in 1080p HD with 4K sensors and HDR for super clear video. It has an HD two-way audio which allows you to talk and listens, so unwelcome visitors will hear you loud and clear. Nest Cam IQ Outdoor also has three microphones which allow for noise cancellation and suppression. With 24/7 live video, you have a 130-degree view in 1080p HD, day or night.
The IQ Outdoor camera is IP66 rated meaning it’s dust-tight and resistant to even powerful jets of water. It The latest design also includes a large RGB light ring which lights up when the two-way communication is in use so visitors can see where they’re being addressed from.
This camera features Wi-Fi connectivity with 2×2 MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) transmitters. It also offer night-vision mode for capturing footage day or night. It a motion detector which automatically send alert when motion is detected.
Wyze Cam Outdoor
This is Wyze’s first outdoor camera and it is a battery-powered, water-resistant, Wi-Fi security camera designed to be used outside. It’s a 20 fps 1080p camera for live streaming and recording and features IP65 water resistance that keeps the overall blocky aesthetics of the original Wyze camera. It also offers a night vision mode and two-way audio through the Wyze app, which also offers a rolling 14 days of free cloud storage, in addition to on-device or microSD card storage.
Since Wyze Cam Outdoor is battery-powered, it is completely wire-free. It attaches magnetically to its stand, which is then screwed into a wall. it also uses some onboard smarts to do motion detection, using a standard PIR sensor.
Lorex 4K Nocturnal 3.0 Smart IP Camera
This camera sports an aluminum frame. The camera is rated for weatherproofing as robust as military-grade specifications. Apart from its sleek, muted look, the unit has an extensive list of functions. Perfect for any type of large property, this Nocturnal security system will provide you with the highest level of security coverage to protect what matters most.
This system feature real-time (30fps) 4K recording, unbelievable nighttime performance, and Smart Motion Detection. The 4K resolution offers four times the resolution of 1080p with approximately 4000 horizontal pixels, provides the maximum level of detail and clarity available. It has a 113-degree field of view with variable zoom and a long-range infrared night vision in low-light and Color Night Vision with ambient lighting.
This security camera also includes a built-in microphone that will capture the sounds around the camera, providing you with additional information (and evidence, if needed) to your security.
Blink XT2 Camera
With the Blink XT2, you can now protect your entire home, inside and out, with the same video-first security that you have come to love PLUS two-way audio, extended battery life, customizable motion zones, and more.
This camera has a clear 1080p HD picture, and it is weather-resistant (IP-65 rating), so it is perfect for outdoor usage. The camera also comes equipped with motion detection, so when the unit senses motion, the Wi-Fi-enabled device will send a real-time alert to your smartphone and a short recorded clip.
The Blink XT2 comes with free cloud storage and a variety of features, including two-way audio, infrared night vision, and customizable motion detection and live view recording. The Blink camera also works with Amazon Alexa and has a compatible app that alerts you when motion is detected.
Vivint Outdoor Camera Pro
The Vivint Outdoor Camera Pro is the only surveillance camera with Smart Sentry, a powerful AI tool that not only identifies true threats but also helps prevent break-ins by warning lurkers on your property they’ve been spotted. It is equipped with a 4K HDR sensor and infrared LEDs, the Camera Pro delivers sharp video day and night.
It has a 140-degree field of view and uses infrared LEDs to deliver up to 40 feet of black-and-white night vision. There are Two microphones and a speaker that provide two-way audio, and there’s an 85dB siren that, when enabled, will sound when your security system is triggered. There’s also an LED ring around the camera lens that will glow red when the Smart Sentry is triggered. The camera will record a video clip when it detects motion and store it in the cloud.
What makes a good Outdoor Security Camera
Here are few features that determined and aid our pick of the best security camera
- Image resolution: Most outdoor cameras stream 1080p video. There’s very little reason to buy a 720p camera unless it has special features or you can get it for under $100.
- Night vision: All outdoor Wi-Fi cameras should have night-vision capability. The night-vision range can be a factor depending on where you plan to place the camera.
- Alerts: A good outdoor security camera alerts your smartphone or tablet whenever it detects motion. Faster alerts are better, but their speed is often dependent more on the network you’re connected to than on the camera itself. We also looked for cameras that could distinguish between different causes of motion, such as a person, vehicle, or animal.
- Storage: Cloud storage (where video is saved on a remote server operated by the manufacturer instead of at your house) is the norm these days, but some cameras store recordings locally on a microSD card or a connected hard drive. Onboard storage is nice, but it isn’t of much help if someone steals the camera or you lose power.
- Audio: A good outdoor Wi-Fi camera should have a built-in microphone so you can hear chirps and chatter. Most also feature a speaker for two-way communication, allowing you to talk to whoever is in front of the camera.
- Smart-home integration: Most outdoor cameras offer some type of smart-home integration, such as support for Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, IFTTT (If This Then That), SmartThings, and more.
- IP Weather Proof: These outdoor cameras have an IP66 rating at the least, meaning the camera can withstand direct contact with water, rain, snow, and sand up to a certain pressure level. You can be confident that our outdoor cameras are built to last in common outdoor environments, and we also offer security cameras with higher weatherproof ratings up to IP68 that can withstand more exposure to rain or water, and in some cases submersion.
- Power: Battery-powered cameras offer flexible placement. However, many outdoor Wi-Fi cameras still require AC power, limiting placement to within reach of an outlet. Several of the models on our list need to be hardwired into outdoor lights.