The terms health and wellness interchangeably are two different concepts that are quite variable, and their meanings are different.
Health is the body’s natural functional and metabolic efficiency to adapt to physical and mental changes the body is exposed to. The state of complete physical, mental and spiritual well-being is called health.
Wellness is “the optimal state of health of individuals and groups,” and wellness is expressed as “a positive approach to living.”
The primary difference between health and wellness is that health is the goal and wellness is the active process of achieving it. You truly cannot have health without first achieving wellness. Wellness has a direct influence on overall health, which is essential for living a robust, happy, and fulfilled life.
HEALTH VS WELLNESS
While you cannot choose the state of health, you can consciously choose wellness by living your life responsibly and taking proactive steps for your well-being.
- Health comprises the diagnosis of a disease/illness, predisposition to a disease, and any unexpected injury.
- Wellness is an active process of growth and change to reach your fullest health and well-being. It is associated with actively pursuing activities, making choices and lifestyle changes, controlling risk factors that can harm a person, focusing on nutrition, having a balanced diet, and following spiritual practices that lead to holistic health.
- Wellness is just about Caring for your mind, body, and soul.
THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD HEALTH
Wellness encompasses a wide range of activities and practices that can help to elevate the health and well-being of individuals. Having good health helps a person to perform their daily routine in a smooth manner.
Having good health is important because,
1. Improve longevity: If a person doesn’t have a healthy lifestyle, it would affect the daily routine of a person. When the body gets proper nutrition, it becomes more fit and healthy, improving longevity.
2. Prevent diseases: The most important concept of leading a healthy life is to provide immunity strength against various diseases. The immune system is the body’s natural defense mechanism to fight against foreign agents that cause harm to the body. Having a healthy body and mind is very important for overall well-being.
3. Improve mental health: Having a bad lifestyle would result in poor mental health. Adopting a healthy lifestyle would relax the mind and improve the mood. Mental health is equally important as physical health.
4. Lead a productive life: A healthy person would serve his/her community and nation. Only when a person is not affected by any disease, he/she is considered healthy. This in turn would help them to serve better.
5. Financial benefits: The cost of medical expenses is rising. Only if a person invests in health right from a young age they would prevent or reduce the extent to which they develop a disease.
IMPORTANCE OF WELLNESS
Overall physical wellness encourages the balance of physical activity, nutrition and mental well-being to keep your body in top condition. Obtaining an optimal level of physical wellness allows you to nurture personal responsibility for your own health.
Enhancing and maintaining your health and wellness is important for helping you achieve academic success, personal development, and lifelong wellness.
On one end, patients with poor health engage the medical fraternity to treat illnesses. On the other end, people focus proactively on prevention and maximize their vitality. They adopt lifestyles that improve health, prevent disease, and enhance their quality of life and a sense of well-being. Wellness is proactive, preventive, and driven by self-responsibility for healthy living.
ACHIEVING A GOOD HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
In order to significantly improve our health, we need to adapt to a good healthy lifestyle.
- Cutting down on refined foods has a lot of health benefits
- Exercising regularly
- Keeping up with a healthy diet
- Taking the right supplements and not abusing it
- Getting enough sleep is an important factor in keeping a healthy lifestyle
These are just a few of All the activities needed in adapting to a healthy lifestyle and would serve beneficial for you.
By having good health, they can reduce the possibilities of themselves getting hospitalized and minimize the cost incurred for medical treatment.
The health of an individual is not something that is to be neglected. Having good health is directly related to leading a productive life.
The functionality of the body is interconnected between various organs. Keeping the organs healthy is essential for proper functioning.
As health is the state of physical, mental, and social well-being, having good health is important.