Google announced its plan to launch a new design for its Gmail web interface . In an email to G Suite administrators, the company says the new design will include “several new features” that will also be made available to regular Gmail accounts. Google promises a “fresh, clean look for Gmail on the web,” with features like Smart Reply, the ability to snooze emails, and offline support.
True to the announcement, the Gmail offline might come sooner than expected. Gmail’s native Offline mode works by syncing your account as soon as an internet connection becomes available. Gmail Offline is handled entirely in your web browser, letting you search through, read, delete, label, and even respond to email without an internet connection, like if you’re on a plane, in a tunnel, or camping out away from cell phone service. Once your computer connects to a working network, any emails you’ve queued up to send, will be sent, and new emails will be downloaded or changed just as you requested them to be when offline.
Hoeve, this Gmail offline feature will only work with the chrome web browser version 61 or higher, so you will need to make sure that is your preferred browser. Likewise the other disadvantages of this feature is that for users of Firefox, Edge, Opera and their various forks they won’t be able to access it because you can only access Gmail Offline using Chrome.
How to Enable Gmail Offline
Firstly you have to Turn on Gmail offline, see steps below
- On your computer, make sure you’ve downloaded Chrome. You can only use Gmail offline in a Chrome browser.
- Go to Gmail offline settings.
- Check “Enable offline mail.”
- Choose your settings, such as how many days of messages you want to sync.
- Click Save changes.
How to Configure Gmail Offline
By default, Gmail will only keep a week’s worth of email for offline use. This means you can only search through a week’s worth of messages without an internet connection however, If you’d like to sync older emails, here’s how to change that setting:
- With Gmail Offline open, click Settings (the gear icon).
- Pick a different option from the Download mail from past drop-down menu. You can pick between week, 2 weeks, and month.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
This is not the least of the features you can configure your Gmail to. you can also choose to set up a Vacation Responder
Vacation Responder is an auto-response message you can send out as a reply to any incoming email. This lets you notify people that you are currently away from the internet and might take a while to get back to them.
Here’s how you do it:
- Toggle the Vacation Responder switch to the ON position.
- Specify a Start date and an End date. The auto-response message will be sent out as a reply to incoming emails automatically during this period.
- Enter a Subject and a Message.
- Enable Only send a response to people in my Contacts.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
Gmail looks a bit different in offline mode but it functions in basically the same way as regular Gmail. To open Gmail when you’re offline, go into your Chrome apps through the chrome://apps/ URL, and choose the Gmail icon.
The Gmail Offline has a streamlined design that hides all but the most commonly used tools, but you can find the options to move messages to folders, report spam, apply labels and more under a menu on the top right. yYou can make use of the search bar to navigate your search.
How to Create and Delete Syncing Mails Offline
To compose a new email, click the Red Compose icon. After you type the message and enter the recipient’s email address, hit Send. The message should now be queued up in the Outbox folder. The email will be sent out as soon as your computer is connected to the internet.
To get rid of your synced emails hit the ‘More’ icon in Chrome (three dots in a vertical line) and select ‘Settings’. Scroll all the way down and select ‘Advanced’ . Click ‘Content settings’ and select ‘Cookies’, then click ‘Remove all’ under ‘See all cookies and site data’. Hopefully Google will make this process easier as soon as possible.
Note that Gmail Offline is a stripped-down version of Gmail’ so it does not have all its features.
Uninstall Gmail offline
In case you are tired of the feature, this is how t turn it off and just continue with your online experience.
How To Remove Your Offline Data
- On your computer, open Google Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under “Privacy and security,” click Content settings.
- Click Cookies.
- Under “All cookies and site data,” click Remove all.
- Confirm by clicking Clear all.